Supplies for Ponds, Lakes and Water Features
Expert advice and great price!
We specialize in Aquascape Pond Supplies Aquascape pumps, parts, pond kits, pond lights and water treatments 20% below MSRP!
Aquascape Pumps: Choose the right pond pump for pond size and water volume. We offer free shipping and prompt delivery on most models of Aquascape Pumps.
Water Treatment: The new Aquascape Dosing System makes it easy to manage pond water treatments and keep the water clean and clear.
Pond Lights: Choose from our large selection of landscape and pond lights including LED, Halogen, Underwater, Strings, and Spotlights.
Building a pond? Check out the pond kits and all the helpful construction videos on our site.
Ask the PondMeister!
Fall Maintenance Tips
Remove leaves and debris
Putting a pond net over your water feature before leaves start falling from trees is the easiest way to contain and manage leaf control. We recommend Aquascape Protective Pond Netting.
Once all the leaves have fallen, simply roll up the net, discard the leaves, and put the net away until the next time itís needed.
If you didnít install netting, youíll probably have a build up of leaves and debris that need to be removed.
A long-handled pond net makes an easy job of scooping the debris from the bottom of the pond. If you leave the debris on the bottom of the pond, youíll be creating a bigger mess to face in the spring.
Trim dead or dying foliage
Trimming dead foliage helps remove excessive organic debris that would otherwise decompose in the water.
Cut back hardy waterlilies just above the base of the plant and cut back marginal plants that could droop over into the water.
Add cold water bacteria
Add cold water bacteria, such as Aquascape Cold Water Beneficial Bacteria to help keep pond water clean and clear. Cold Water Beneficial Bacteria contains concentrated strains of beneficial bacteria designed to work in temperatures lower than 50 degrees.
Regular use of Cold Water Beneficial Bacteria will help maintain water quality and clarity, as well as dramatically reduce spring maintenance by digesting debris that may accumulate over the winter months.
If you leave your pond running
Operating your pond and waterfalls during the winter will provide beautiful ice formations for you to enjoy throughout the frosty season. Keep in mind, there will be a bit of maintenance required this time of year, such as topping off the pond due to evaporation. Also, youíll need to make sure ice formations donít create dams that can cause unnecessary water loss over the edge of the stream.
If you shut down the pond
Many homeowners in northern climes choose to shut down the pond for the winter months. If you choose this option, remember to:
- Remove the pump from your pond and store it in a warm place like the garage or the basement. Protection from the cold lengthens the life of your pump.
- Drain the water out of the plumbing. This prevents standing water from freezing and expanding, potentially cracking the pipes that connect your filtration system.
- Remove and clean the filter media and spray them thoroughly with a garden hose. Store them in the garage or the basement along with the pump.
- Oxygenate the water by placing a small re-circulating pump, such as the AquaForce Pond Pump on the top shelf of your pond. Oxygenating the water is not only for the sake of your fish, but it also helps keep a hole open in the ice when the surface of your pond starts freezing. This hole allows harmful gasses to escape, and oxygen to get in.
- If it gets really cold where you live, you may consider adding the Aquascape De-Icer. At extremely low temperatures, the oxygenation of the water may not be sufficient to keep a hole open in the ice. Thatís where the De-icer saves the day. It compliments the AquaForce and, together, theyíll keep most any pond open.
Ensure healthy fish before winter
A well-balanced diet creates healthy, happy fish. You want to make sure your fish are in good condition before they go into hibernation.
When the water temperature falls below 60 degrees, the metabolism and digestion of your fish begins to slow down.
Aquascape Premium Cold Water Fish Food is scientifically formulated to properly nourish your fish during these lower temperatures. Be sure to stop feeding your fish when water temperature falls below 50 degrees.
Taking a little time and effort to prepare your pond for winter not only helps your fish survive their winter slumber, but makes your spring maintenance much easier.
The Pond Outlet is on Facebook!
Join our active Facebook community We welcome you to share ideas, questions, photos, and articles of interest.